Step by step guide to Indie Redbridge shops getting involved
- Independent shops are not treasured and find it difficult to compete with chains and online sales.
- Independent Retail Day and Month is an opportunity to help indie shops but it has not been celebrated in Redbridge recently
- Barkingside’s lovely town square, the Ken Aston square by the library, has not been used for community events although that was part of the agreement to having it built
- Only 2 shops turned up when council business liaison officer Daniel Moore called a meeting for Barkingside shop keepers earlier in the year.
The glimmers of hope:
- Harvey Sharpe a Barkingside resident – tireless campaigner for Ken Aston Square to be used and he knows EVERY shop keeper on the High Street personally – he welcomes every new shop keeper and keeps in touch 🙂
- Ana Amika Pindoria, owner of Hi-Juice tutoring and business coaching on the High Street, wants to help independent shops to develop their businesses to make them more successful. She’s up for helping with the event
- Barkingside business hub set up in January in the friendly, indie Chequers pub and created energy and interest in Barkingside. They are up for it.
- Vision are willing to work through the barriers to community groups running events on the Square
- Barkingside has loads of independent shops
What we did:
- Created our vision- shops on the square, food, activities, fun, entertainment, energy, networking, finding new customers, building community spirit
- Engaged indie shops in our vision: walked, talked, encouraged, lots of positive energy, regular updates, keeping in touch
- Publicity: Nice flyers, brochure for promotion (paid), great Recorder feature and photo
- Pulled the event together: music, site services, electricity, involved partners, promotion
What the indie shops did!
- They organised extra staff, came up with activities on the square, sold lovely food, gave away free food, ran demos, networked
- They were: Arabella – House of Beautiful hair, Catwalk Pets and Aquatics, Chequers Pub, Coffee Time – coffees, pastries, cakes, smoothies, ice creams, Elite Vision – designer frames and expert eye care, Eye Candie –exclusive fashion boutique, Fully Floral – flowers for every occasion, Get Smart – we really care about student success, Hi-Juice – helping business owners find the right ingredients for their success, Patricija – Lithuanian delicatessen with speciality meats and cheeses, Sambal – Sri Lankan and South African cuisine. (will add links later)
- Know other shop keepers – will go into each others shops now
- Got information about reducing costs by recycling
- The Police will have their cup of tea with residents in Coffee Time and not Costa!
- Good chance of having found new customers and increased profile
- Feel more part of Barkingisde life and Barkingside business community
- Want to do it again.
See the video:
And the promotional brochure of 10 fabulous independent shops on Barkingside: