A brand new pop up market with a green theme and a community cafe in Ilford Town Centre. We are now looking for stalls and ideas and helpers….
- 2nd Saturday of the month in 2016.
- Opening on Saturday 13th February.
- Just off the pedestrianised area in the Salvation Army in Clements Road, Ilford Town Centre
This is the outcome of some creative thinking, just asking for a space (see Kathy Taylor’s blog on how she obtained a pop up shop venue in Wanstead), support from Donna Mizzi of Wanstead Arts Trail, generosity, and the inspiring meeting of Redbridge upcyclers held in November.
Stalls booked so far…Lesley Maria cake stands, Kimiko Loves upcycled fashion, home made natural cleaning products from Rosie Eco Cleaning Services London, green/eco book stall, vintage clothing with Hayley, recycled bags and tie dyed clothes with Odun Odundipe…. and a fantastic range of recycled bikes!
The cafe will be selling cakes, tortillas and quiches, filter coffee and a range of teas. Begona Belmote of Planet Falafel (and Transition Town Ilford) will be cafe manager.
This is an exciting collaboration between:
- Recycles ilford that wants higher footfall and customers at its Saturday sales
- local green upcyclers and businesses that want markets
- Ilford Transition Town, part of Redbridge Transition Town, that wants to pilot a community cafe
- Sophia Hubs green business volunteers that want to create a buzzing green economy in Redbridge.
Recycles Ilford is a social enterprise that repairs bikes and sells them on. There’s a contract with Shanks to hand over all thrown away bikes. The volunteers are often homeless and looking to learn a skill, build confidence and get involved in community life. They have been holding a Saturday sale for a couple of years in the borough.
We are looking for stalls that upcycle, recycle, or sell green products. Also for people interested in mending/repairs. Any ideas for this stock of sturdy retro chairs? They could be upcycled and sold?